Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Maybe the more appropriate title of this post should have been "I ain't skert!" after trekking to our nations capitol with two kids in tow. I feel like there is pretty much nothing I can't do right now. Truly, It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. (A thank you shout out to all the kind people I met along the way that carried a bag or the stroller for me to make things a little easier! I promise to pay it forward!) I was a little banged up after our journey to D.C., but the return trip was much easier. Could've been because I'd done it before or maybe Catherine was just wiped out from a fun vacay or perhaps it was because Chris was able to help us out at least part of the way but possibly it was that half a xanax I took. Who knows? 

Jack is a TERRIFIC traveller. Most of you reading this know how petrified Christopher is of flying. So much so that he took a 20 hour train ride to DC and is taking another one home (Side note: I dropped him off at the train station, packed the car, drove 2 hours to Starkville and he called to check in just in Anniston. This is not an exaggeration!) Poor Christopher has now been replaced as my traveling companion by his flying ace of a son, Jack! I told him I was proud of him for being so brave! He said he didn't know why his dad was just zero brave when flying was soooooooo awesome. And that he was 100 brave! Take that, Dad! We took a 7 am flight into Baltimore. I thought if I got the kids up super early they'd still be a little tired. That was wrong. They were wired, and Catherine doesn't enjoy being pinned down at the moment. Lesson learned. Fly at night. From there we hopped on a "shovel" as Jack said (read: shuttle) that took us to the train into Union Station. We grabbed a quick lunch. Then we took a taxi to Chris's ma-partment. I pulled a Brittany Spears and just held on tight because we didn't bring our car seats. I thought we'd just take the metro, but....well, plans change! :) Arriving at the apartment we found this:
VERY EXCITING!!!  We went exploring that afternoon after Catherine (and myself) got a quick nap. Saturday was a fun day spent at the National Zoo with the Marbles. They were sweet enough to load up their two kiddos and drive 2.5 hours to see us in Washington. We had fun seeing them and meeting precious little Wade (who if Amanda ever says he cries, I may not believe it!). Jack had a blast with Mary Peyton. I think he talked her ears off. Hopefully, she's recovered! 
Amanda & Wade Marble & Me
Jack & MP
Jack by the baby hippo, one of his favorite animals
This picture makes me laugh because I think it was right around the time Jack asked MP if she knew Jesus. I love the expressions on the dads' faces. Classic! And MP's too...she's totally thinking that this kids is never going to stop talking! :) haha 
Jack looooooooved the Subway! 

Mother's Day was wonderful! (even though Jack said the best part of Mother's Day was spending time with dad. Hmmm. I'll let that slide THIS year...) It was a beautiful day in Washington so we had a picnic on the Mall. The kids had a blast running and playing, then we hit a few Smithsonians, rode the carousel, saw the WWII mom-u-ent, and went to visit the Moores for Dinner. Jack thought the Rocket museum and the Dinosaur museum were great. We also hit the Castle to see some movie props from the upcoming Night at the Museum movie. 
It was VERY windy! And a really bad day to wear a skirt. :P
 Monday was low key. We had a nice lunch at a place with an award-winning kids' menu, and just enjoyed being together! Our flight left at 7 that night and got back about 8 Birmingham time. The kids were both asleep when we got to the house. What a fun trip! I would do it again in a heartbeat! 
Proof that not everyone sitting by us on the plane hated us!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love all the pics girlfriend--you are my hero for taking two kids flying by yourself. What cool pics of the national monuments in the background and I LOVE the one of MP and Jack...so cool to see that we've grown up and on past Sorority Row. What a surreal moment huh?

Thanks for sharing. And we most def. have to meet and visit for a minute this fall at a Bulldog game...now that ya'll will be at every one and a 'native.' :)
ejw

Sarah Largen said...

i'm soooo proud of you, M! loved the pics of jack and mp together and him making sure she was on team jesus. love it. hope you are well....