7 years ago
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
A Run-In with the Law
This afternoon after Jack got home from day camp, I asked him what he wanted to do. His response: to snuggle and watch a movie. I say great because I know those days are numbered for me! Chris calls my cell, and while I'm talking to him, the kids are playing with the house phone. I tell them to hang up and I don't think about it again. Until.....Jack, Catherine and I are upstairs watching Batman & Robin. Chewy is barking incessantly. I decide that maybe I need to see what the fuss is about and stick my head up to look out the window when I see that there is A POLICEMAN AT MY HOUSE. Yep. He's checking my garbage can, peeking in my windows (where no doubt he saw that Catherine had dumped out my purse and I just left everything laying there so I didn't waste a precious minute of snuggle time with Jack. He HAD to think we'd been robbed.) I rush outside to see what was going on. As it turns out, there had been a 911 call placed from our house. I apologize profusely. The officer was more than gracious. At first, I blame Catherine because usually she is the culprit when it comes to phone offenses. But after a little more thought, I look over at Jack and ask him if he called 911. He gives me his trademark sheepish look and says, "Yeah, I called them. I was thinking maybe our phones weren't working so I just want to call somebody to check. That's the only number I know." I go on a long spill about how you don't call 911 unless it's an emergency and how the poor officer came to our house thinking we were in danger. Jack looks at me, then kind of half-smiles and laughs, " Heh, heh. Well, I guess I tricked him."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment